Current Report

CURRENT REPORT:

2 Adults
2 drama queens
1 precious baby brother
1 amazing golden retriever in heaven, and missed!!!



Monday, June 21, 2010

D-Day


He's here. He made it. Ryan Griffin Snow, born on 6-19-2010 weighing 9 lbs 1 oz, 21 1/2 inches long. We are blessed. That's the bottom line.


Here's the recap of D-Day (Delivery Day)

Water broke (as I was sleeping) at 3:30 AM Saturday the 19th. Contractions were "good" but inconsistent.

Ryan and I checked into a quiet, peaceful, yet very organized and fantastic hospital at 5:15 AM.

From 5:15 AM-10 AM my contractions were still slow coming. I walked the halls, bounced on the exercise ball, visited with nurses, and enjoyed the company of a great friend who dropped in to wish me luck.

10:15 AM- My midwife started me on Pitocin and that's when the fun began!!

10:15-3:15-- LABOR. It went from inconsistent contractions that were 8-14 min apart, to strong ones that were coming 4 minutes apart, to several hours of contractions 2 minutes apart (or less). My midwife, Ryan, and sister-in-law Sarah continued to suggest positions for me to try (the bath tub being one of them--I highly recommend this one) as the pain was incredible. My mom and sister were also in the room as GREAT support. I had no pain medication, and there were about 2 times that I wanted to give up. Somehow I just blocked out the idea of pain meds and utilized Ryan and Sarah as my drug of choice. They pushed on my back harder than they thought was possible, they pushed on my feet, and they encouraged me. It got me through some bad back labor and pain I've never experienced before.

3:15 PM- I knew I had to push. No one had to say to me, "you're at 10 cm now and you may begin pushing when I say GO." I told my midwife when I was going to push. :) I was laying on my side in bed at that point. I pushed 3 HARD pushes (there was nothing in me that wanted that to drag on and I didn't care how bad it hurt, I wanted that kid out)...and that 9 lb bundle of joy flew right out.

No problems, no episiotmy, no stitches needed. Thank you Jesus!! On our drive to the hospital, Ryan prayed that God would not only show grace in the labor and delivery, but that he would show MERCY. That morning, before Sarah arrived, she prayed that there would be no ripping or tearing involved (knowing that was a fear of mine), and God answered the prayers of both of them.

After Ryan cut his chord,


the nurse wrapped him up and put him in my arms right away. I held him for at least 10-15 minutes before they cleaned him up, and those moments were irreplaceable. He felt so warm. His skin was so soft. And all I could think about was how happy I was that he was out of me and how shocked I was that I just pushed him out of me without any drugs. It was a surreal moment. The love that a mom immediately feels for her child when he/she is placed in her arms is one of the most euphoric feelings ever. I will never forget it. And he was MY SON. My first and only son. He latched right on and nursed like a champ. He was here at last!!





Ellie and Emma were brought in right away and their reactions were priceless. El walked up to me and gave me a once-over. She asked me if she was going to be able to sit on my lap again. She asked me if I was ok (I was in the hospital bed). Once I said YES to both of her questions, she left my side and went over to hold Griffin. Emma, on the other hand, just stared at me. It was several moments before she'd sit on the bed with me, she was scared of the IV in my arm and wouldn't let me touch her. Eventually she warmed up and we were chit chattin about her day and the new baby that was in the room.

I was up and walking within an hour or two, and immediately felt great "everywhere." What a DIFFERENCE between having an epidural and not. I can't even explain it. I love that I've had both experiences, but would tell any woman that she needs to do it natural at some point. There is nothing like it.





3 comments:

B-Mama said...

SO proud of you, Lib. Even prouder knowing you did it with pitocin--NO JOKE, sister!!! You are only the second woman I've heard going natural with pit. VERY commendable!! Like I said, you're providing a lot of inspiration. We are tackling due date #2 tomorrow and I am trying not to let the mental battle overwhelm me. I'd love your prayers!

I just love your little dude and think he is just about perfect. Enjoy enjoy!! :)

orahoods said...

Wow, great store and beautiful pictures. Well done:) Keep the pics coming!

A, E, e, a said...

Beautiful posting, Libby! You'll be so thankful to have all these details written down to remember (!) later. Congratulations again. I pray you're healing well and everyone is adjusting and enjoying another baby! -Erica Moseley