Current Report

CURRENT REPORT:

2 Adults
2 drama queens
1 precious baby brother
1 amazing golden retriever in heaven, and missed!!!



Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Discernment

So that's the word that was in our "Get Wisdom" book this morning. I picked that page to do/talk about because I thought it was appropriate for Ellie now in the social scene at school. :)
I HIGHLY recommend this book...it's amazing.

Anyways, after it defined discernment, it had a few verses from Proverbs 4 in there about choosing the level path. We talked about what that meant and why it's important. The book always gives a few great examples about how the child can apply that word/concept to their life. I added a few of my own in there too. Then, there are some lines for the kids to write out 1 or 2 ways they could practice "discernment," or whatever word is being focused on that day. Ellie was quiet for a looong time so I finally asked her what she wanted to write down. She said she was praying so I waited a minute longer. When she said Amen, I asked her what she was talking to God about. She told me that she didn't want to tell me, and then put her head down. After MUCH reassuring that I wouldn't be mad at her, that it's always better to talk about things and to tell the truth rather than hold it in, and that I loved her no matter what, she opened up to me...

And this was it:
She told a little boy at school to Shut up.

Yep, that was what was breaking her heart. She knew it wasn't ok and that we don't say that word in our house. And she knew there was a better way to handle the fact that this kid was driving her nuts in line (tapping her, talking when they were supposed to be quiet, etc.). So she broke down and said it.
While talking about discernment she realized that she had chosen the wrong path and didn't choose the right way. I LOVE that that scenario from school popped into her mind when we were talking this morning.

Now...praying for MANY MANY MANY more opportunities to talk, confess, pray, and learn together with Ellie...and the other 2 kiddos as well.

1 comment:

B-Mama said...

Oh girlfriend, sounds like Ellie is getting a dose of growing up quick. Yikes! I wonder if we are avoiding some of it due to M being a boy. Though I will say, he has broken down into tears about not being the most liked compared to his best friend.

You are doing an awesome job. LOVE that you talk so openly and present great tools for her to "discern". Wonderful stuff--she is going to be fantastic. Keep praying for good friends like we had. We were so lucky... Then again, K was so mean to me in elem. school, so I guess I had to go through a lot to get there! I know you did too!!